Pasta alla norma is a pasta dish originally from Catania, Sicily. The original recipe is with ricotta salata, I replaced it with fresh ricotta cheese because ricotta salata is hard to find where I live. I also added the pesto for extra flavour.
320 grams paccheri pasta
3 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon of nutmeg
4 tablespoons pesto
4 tablespoons ricotta cheese
salt and pepper
- Chop the aubergines into 2 cm chunks, set aside.
- Peel and finely slice the garlic, set aside.
- Heat a splash of olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Once hot add the aubergines and nutmeg.
- Fry until softened and golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add the sliced garlic, salt and pepper and set aside.
- Cook the pasta in a pan of boiling water until al dente.
- Drain the pasta.
- In a large bowl combine the pasta, tomato sauce and aubergines and toss well.
- Divide between your bowls and finish with a tablespoon of ricotta and pesto.