The pesto and marinated tomatoes bring this caprese to an other level. Absolutely delicious!
4 balls of buffalo mozzarella
1 red onion
2 cloves of garlic
100 ml balsamic vinegar
4 tablespoons of olive oil
black pepper, freshly ground
1 teaspoon of oregano
- Slice the tomatoes in 1 cm slices.
- Slice the red onion thinly and mince the garlic.
- Add sliced tomatoes, red onion and garlic in a jar.
- Pour in the balsamic vinegar, olive oil and add the oregano, basil, some black pepper and salt.
- Close the jar and let marinate for at least 1 hour (preferably overnight).
- Slice the mozzarella in 1 cm slices.
- Alternate layers between the tomatoes, mozzarella and pesto, first a tomato slice then a mozzarella slice, spreading the pesto on top of the mozzarella (beginning and ending with a tomato slice).
- Drizzle with some of the marinade and voilà!