I swapped the basil leaves for pesto and marinated the tomatoes to bring this caprese to an other level. Absolutely delicious!
4 balls of buffalo mozzarella
1 red onion
2 cloves of garlic
ml balsamic vinegar
tablespoons of olive oil
black pepper, freshly ground
1 teaspoon of oregano
- Slice the tomatoes in 1 cm slices.
- Slice the red onion and garlic very thin.
- Add sliced tomatoes, red onion and garlic in a jar.
- Pour in the balsamic vinegar, 2 tablespoons of olive oil and add the oregano, some black pepper and salt.
- Close the jar and let marinate for at least 1 hour (preferably overnight).
- Slice the mozzarella in 1 cm slices.
- Alternate layers between the tomatoes, mozzarella and pesto, first a tomato slice then a mozzarella slice, spreading the pesto on top of the tomatoes (beginning and ending with a tomato slice).
- Drizzle with some olive oil and garnish with basil leaves.